Do you want to get your hands on a used but decent-quality stand-up paddle board at a lower price? Because a brand-new or premium build board is expensive and may cost you over 1000 bucks.
Moreover, if you are a beginner, you might be unsure whether it would be a good investment or not?
No doubt, paddle boarding is a fun, relaxing activity or hobby and a great way to connect with nature. But at the same time, a standard SUP might not be affordable for all. Therefore, to help you not miss that fun-filled activity, we are going to share some of the best SUP stores where you can get used yet standard boards at a cheaper price.
In addition, we will also share some crucial tips to look for while buying a used SUP, either online or offline, so that you can start your paddle boarding journey sooner.
Table of Contents
Physical Location To Buy A Used SUP In The USA
The best place to find a used board is in your local SUP store. Start by asking around at your local SUP rental shop, as they usually end up selling their old paddle boards when they get new ones after.
The board may have slight wear and tear, but if you’re just starting out and are strapped for cash, you may be lucky enough to get a quality paddle board at a cheap price.
Here’s a hand full of stores we’ve picked out. They all have SUP rental or specifically advertise the sale of used paddle boards.
If you’re local to them, pop in and check what SUPs they have in stock.
West Coast Paddle Sports
Address: 4360 Morena Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92117, United States
Since 2011, West Coast Paddle Sports has been serving paddle boards and other water sports equipment. It is the best place to buy SUP in San Diego.
You don’t have to worry about carrying the board, as the WCPS team delivers right where you need it. In addition, they also provide SUP rental and repair services and exclusive tutorials (if needed).
Address: 2884 S Elati St. Unit B, Englewood, CO 80110, United States
Altitude Paddleboards is a family-owned local SUP store from Englewood, Colorado. AP is equipped with tons of paddle boards and accessories to meet all your needs. Established in 2012, it is the first fully dedicated SUP retailer from Colorado. They have an amazing team and top-notch service to fulfill their paddling community needs.
Paddle Surf Warehouse
Address: 629 Terminal Way #27 Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Paddle Surf Warehouse has various new & used paddle boards collections to pick from at the best price. Their staff is well-versed and puts an extra effort to bring the best SUP and buying experience to their customers.
Address: 1217 West Wisconsin Ave Oconomowoc, WI 53066
Paddleboard Specialists from West Wisconsin strive to deliver an ideal paddling experience. In the market since 2007, they offer the best experience, advice, and boards to their customers. Visit their store to find out how passionate they are about paddle boarding and serving their customers as per their unique needs.
Online Locations To By A Used Paddle Board In The USA
Besides purchasing via local SUP stores, you can find the best-used paddle boards online as well. Some of the popular online platforms include:
- Facebook Marketplaces
It is advisable to buy used paddle boards from stores rather than from random people on the internet. Because store staff can help you pick the right fit along with their expert advice.
Please note that all the stores mentioned above have their online marketplace as well. So, you can purchase the standard SUP from any of them. They are some of the finest SUP stores in the United States and take an extra step to deliver your board in top-notch condition.
Things To Look Out For When Buying A Used Paddle Board
Here are some key tips to follow while buying a used paddle board.
- Try to buy used SUPs from a rental shop. As rental shops usually own premium quality SUPs, they often sell them after they get a certain amount of wear & tear. This way, you can get your hands on a quality board without spending too much. Also, they have a wide variety of options available. Generally, they have knowledgeable staff that can help you pick a great SUP for your individual needs.
- Check the specified weight of the SUP, and if it is overweight, it might be damaged since it has absorbed the water.
- Check for “bruises” and “scars” on the SUP. Inspect the fins and fin box to find out if the paddle board has been taken care of over the years.
Used SUP Compared To Buying A New One
Paddle boarding is fun, but it can be an expensive hobby. A premium quality board can easily cost you above 1000 dollars. It’s because a quality SUP is made up of fine materials to bring the best paddling experience. Additionally, a good board is made to glide smoothly through water despite its user’s weight.
If you’re just starting out, you can buy a new cheap SUP for around $200-$300. But you may get better quality and a longer life span from a used one for the same price.
- Good-quality paddle boards are usually expensive. So, a second-hand SUP can save a lot of money.
- If paddle boarding is a new hobby for you, buying a used board can help you figure out whether SUPing is meant for you or not?
- Sometimes, you might get your hands on a high-quality board without spending much.
- A used paddle board won’t come with a warranty.
- The market for second-hand SUPs is limited.
- Finding the board according to your preferences would be harder, as there might be fewer options.
- You might have to pay extra for the paddle as it may not come with a used SUP.
Although buying a used paddle board may seem like a great idea in theory. If you don’t have a local shop nearby or have specific requirements for the board, you may find it hard to get your hands on a reasonable quality used SUP.
If you can’t rent one, our best advice is to buy a quality iSUP like those reviewed on The SUP Guru. If you end up not using it as much as you would have hoped, at least it won’t take up too much storage space.
Last but not least the most important thing is to get out on the water and have some fun regardless of how many times you fall off, it’s all part of the experience that makes this sport so great